Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - George - How - Sugar


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 28 December 1942 as PC-1273 by the Quincy Adams Yacht Yard Inc., Quincy, MA
  • Reclassified SC-1273 in April 1943
  • Launched 8 May 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-1273, 30 June 1943
  • Reclassified as a Command Submarine Chaser, SCC-1273 in August 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 3 January 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 26 March 1947
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," two sets Mk 20 Mousetrap rails with four 7.2 projectiles and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SCC-1273 122k Photo from the collection of Fred A. Tushinski Paul Tushinski

    Commanding Officers
    01LT John Seaman Bainbridge, USNR13 June 1943 - March 1944
    02LT Harry Adrian Lansman, USNRMarch 1944 - September 1944
    03ENS George Arthur Hines, USNRSeptember 1944 - March 1945
    04LTJG Raymond Angevine, USNRMarch 1945 - June 1945
    05LTJG R. A. Jensen, USNRJune 1945 - 30 December 1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan and Wolfgang Hechler

    There is no DANFS history available for SCC-1273
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History