Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Tanager (WAVR 472)
ex-USS SC-1347

Call sign:
Nan - Tare - Mike - King


SC-1347 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 15 February 1943 as PC-1347 by the Fisher Boat Works, Inc., Detroit, MI
  • Reclassified SC-1347 in April 1943
  • Launched 15 July 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-1347, 3 September 1943 under the command of LTJG Davis Weinert Gregg, USNR
  • Decommissioned 1 November 1945
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 21 November 1945 and commissioned USCGC Air Tanager (WAVR 472)
  • Struck from the Naval Register 25 February 1946
  • Sold 13 February 1948
  • Acquired in 1949 by Cloes Investment Co., Inc. of Seattle, WA for use as a fishing boat and renamed Tanager
  • Acquired in 1965 by Robert F. Cloes of Seattle and renamed Reganaut
  • Still in service in 1988
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 99 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-1347 295k Photo from the collection of crewmember Walter E. Carlson, who is fourth from the right on the main deck Randall Rothe

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-1347
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History