Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Mary Pope (SP 291)


  • Built in 1915 as Manitee by the and Gas Engine and Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury Co., Morris Heights, NY
  • Renamed Madge
  • Acquired by the Navy 7 July 1917
  • Commissioned USS Mary Pope (SP 291), 9 August 1917
  • Struck from the Navy Register 31 March 1919
  • Destroyed in a hurricane 10 September 1919 while awaiting sale.


  • Displacement 13 t.
  • Length 52'
  • Beam 8' 5"
  • Draft 2' 7"
  • Speed 14.7 kts.
  • Complement: Four
  • Armament: One machine gun
  • Propulsion: One 80hp 6-cylinder Speedway gasoline engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Motorboat Manitee
    Mary Pope 130k Mary Pope with interior general arrangement plan, printed in contemporary yachting magazine. The photo was probably taken when the boat was new, and had the name Manitee
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 99591
    Robert Hurst
    USS Mary Pope (SP 291)
    Mary Pope 120k Photographed circa 1917-19
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 102015
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Mary Pope (SP-291), a wooden-hulled motorboat built in 1915 as Manitee and later renamed Madge by Gass Engineering and Power Co. and C. L. Seabury, Morris Heights, N.Y., was purchased by the Navy from R. W. Bingham 9 August 1917.

    After serving on section patrol through the remainder of World War I, Mary Pope was struck from the Navy list 31 March 1919. However, while still in custody of the Navy, she was wrecked
    10 September 1919.

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History