Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USCGC Pequot
ex-USS SP-319
ex-USS J. A. Palmer (SP 319)



Call sign:
George - Sail - Rush - Jig


Call sign (1919):
Nan - Able - Vice - King


J. A. Palmer served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard


Trawler/Minesweeper:

  • Built in 1912 as John A. Palmer, Jr. by Jackson and Sharpe, Wilmington, DE
  • Acquired by the Navy 29 May 1917
  • Commissioned USS J. A. Palmer (SP 319), 7 April 1917
  • Loaned to the Coast Guard in February 1918
  • Renamed SP-319, 17 January 1919
  • Transferred permanently to the Coast Guard 10 September 1919 and renamed USCGC Pequot
  • Decommissioned 11 May 1922
  • Sold 8 August 1922 to the McNeal Edwards Co. of Reedsville, VA
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 276 t.
  • Length 155'
  • Beam 22'
  • Draft 9'6"
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 33
  • Armament: Two 1-pounders
  • Propulsion: One single ended boiler, one vertical compound expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SP-319 114k
    Namesake:

    Julius Auboineau Palmer Jr., (March 1, 1840 January 11, 1899) is probably best remembered in history for his association with Hawaiian queen Liliuokalani. His was born into an old established Massachusetts family that centered around a conservative Christian lifestyle. His father was a successful business man and politician, one brother a Christian minister, and another brother a professor at Harvard University. As a young man, he chose a seaman's life, visiting much of the world and becoming a multi-linguist. After retiring as a sea captain, he devoted later years to researching the health benefits of edible fungi.

    Tommy Trampp
    Photo added 11 March 2021
    SP-319 77k Photographed prior to World War I
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 100226
    Robert Hurst

    View the J. A. Palmer (SP 319)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Revenue Cutter History:

    The Pequot was a cable-laying vessel that was originally a Navy section patrol boat, SP-319, which itself was originally launched as the John A. Palmer, Jr. She was acquired by the Coast Guard in 1919 and renamed Pequot. She saw service along the East Coast laying cables.

    She towed her replacement vessel, the former Army mine planter General Samuel M. Mills, from Newport News to the Depot at Curtis Bay, departing on 28 April 1922. Pequot was decommissioned on 11 May 1922 and was sold on 8 August 1922 to McNeal Edwards Company, of Reedville, Virginia for $17,000.


    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History