Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Whitecap (SP 340)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - George - King - Watch

Call sign (1919):
Nan - Unit - Boy - Zed


  • Built in 1916 by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, WI for the Bay State Fisheries Co. of South Boston, MA
  • Acquired by the Navy 28 April 1917
  • Commissioned USS Whitecap (SP 340), 8 May 1917
  • Decommissioned 11 March 1919 at Boston, MA
  • Returned to her owner 1 May 1919 and struck from the Naval list
  • Sold in 1938 to the General Seafood Corp. of Boston
  • Sold in 1940 to Hillyer Bros., Ltd., of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada and renamed Ocean Transport No. 25
  • Transferred to British registry in 1941
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 303 t.
  • Length 143'
  • Beam 22' 8"
  • Draft 13' 6"
  • Speed 11 kts.
  • Complement 33
  • Armament: One 6-pounder and one 3-pounder
  • Propulsion: One single ended boiler, one 450hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Whitecap 68k Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
    Whitecap 126k Halftone reproduction of a photograph taken during World War I. Whitecap appears to be towing a heavily-loaded schooner through icy waters
    Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977
    U.S. Navy photo NH 85729
    Naval Historical Center
    Whitecap 100k Underway in a harbor, circa 1917-1919
    U.S. Navy photo NH 102373

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG John D. Steele, USNRF1918 - 1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    View the Whitecap (SP 340)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History