Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Hinton (SP 485)
ex-John B. Hinton (SP 485)

Call sign:
George - Sail - Quack - Dog


  • Built in 1912 by E. J. Tull, Pocomoke City, MD
  • Acquired by the Navy 14 June 1917
  • Commissioned USS John B. Hinton (SP 485), 11 August 1917
  • Renamed Hinton in 1918
  • Decommissioned 8 September 1919 at Brest, France and sold to the Union d'Entreprisen Marocaine of Casablanca, French Morocco
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 309 t.
  • Length 160'
  • Beam 23' 9"
  • Draft 14'
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 38
  • Armament: Two 3"/50 mounts and two machine guns
  • Propulsion: Steam, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Hinton 341k At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Virginia on 18 August 1917. The camouflaged ship partially visible in the right background is USS Courtney (SP-375)
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 52018
    Robert Hurst
    Hinton 245k Tied up at Lorient, France, circa 1918. She has the numeral "6" painted on her bow. Two other "Menhaden Fisherman" type minesweepers are tied up beyond Hinton, with their smokestacks and masts visible. The stern of another is visible at right
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 107337
    Hinton 80k Officers on board the ship, at Lorient, France in 1918. They are (from left to right): Lieutenant Commander Fred L. Blaisdell, Lieutenant Commander Archibald McGlasson, Hinton's Commanding Officer, and Commander Lemuel M. Stevens, Senior Aide to the Lorient District Commander
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 53333
    Bill Gonyo
    Cahill 90k Lorient, France. View taken on 4 July 1918, showing U.S. Navy minesweepers in the right center, alongside the dock at Base 19. The French Navy machinist school is at left. The inboard ship is a hulk, presumably an old French warship employed as a harbor support vessel. Minesweepers tied up outboard of it include (from left to right): USS Cahill (SP 493), USS Douglas (SP 313), Hinton, USS Courtney (SP-375), and USS McNeal (SP-333). These former fishing vessels were originally known by their civilian names, respectively: Winfield S. Cahill, Otis W. Douglas, John B. Hinton, Warren J. Courtney and Kenneth L. McNeal. Though ordered shortened to surnames by a July 1917 Navy General Order, the longer names were often used afterwards
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 45084
    Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR Archibald A. McGlasson, USN - USNA Class of 1909
    Awarded the Navy Cross (1920) - Retired as Captain
    10 August 1917
    02LT Homer J. Parent, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: John B. Hinton (SP-485), a steam fishing vessel, was built in 1912 by E. J. Tull, Pocomoke City, Md.; acquired from her owners, Seaboard Oil & Guano Co., Reedsville, Va., and commissioned 10 August 1917. John B. Hinton sailed to France soon after commissioning and served as a minesweeper during and after World War I. She decommissioned 8 September 1919 at Brest, France, and was sold to the Union d'Entreprisen Marocaine, Casablanca, French Morocco.

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History