Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

See W. See (SP 740)

Call sign (1915):
Love - Fox - Jig - Vice


  • Built in 1915 by W. F. Downs, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
  • Acquired by the Navy 18 June 1917
  • Commissioned USS See W. See (SP 740), 18 August 1917
  • Decommissioned 13 December 1918
  • Struck from the Navy list 14 December 1918 and returned to her owner, Charles W. Cushman of Vernon, NY
  • Sold to S. K. Morris and renamed Pequest
  • Registered in 1927 to Louis Smyth of New York, NY as the yacht Pequest
  • Registered in 1931 to Henry E. Butler of Seabright, NJ as the yacht Jonob II
  • Subsequently renamed Rosalie IV and Misty Isle
  • Purchased by William L. "Butch" Baxter in 1975 and renamed Mar-Sue.


  • Displacement 26 t.
  • Length 65'
    1927 - 54.6'
  • Beam 13' 1"
  • Draft 3' 8"
    1927 - 5'
  • Complement: Four (1927)
    1931 - One
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Propulsion: One 100hp gasoline engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS See W. See (SP 740)
    Sunbeam III 52k c. Late summer 1917
    U.S. Naval Reserve Force Section Base No. 5, West Sayville, Long Island, NY
    See W. See, the USS Sunbeam III (SP 251) and the USS Nemesis (SP 343)
    Photo courtesy of the Long Island Maritime Museum
    William L. Baxter
    See W. See 311k This ad was purchased on E-bay 9 May 2008 from "Vintage Vessels." It shows the SP-740 conversion from a naval vessel back into a motor yacht as depicted in this ad out of the 10 August 1919 issue Motor Boat Magazine. The ad states T. K. Morris as the owner, USCG Abstract of Title list S. K. Morris as the owner (Typo?) William L. Baxter
    See W. See 127k c. 1919
    Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection, Mystic, CT, Negative No.2729
    Jonbob II
    See W. See 66k c. 1950
    Pamlico Sound, NC
    Note the lower rub guard, this was the main deck level prior to 1928. A huge transformation had taken place.
    William L. Baxter
    See W. See 74k c. 1950
    Pamlico Sound, NC
    See W. See 66k c. 1951
    At the old sub chaser piers on Silver Lake, Ocracoke, NC.
    The little 3 year old boy standing the door way on the Miss Annie, is the current owner of the Mar-Sue, "Butch" Baxter.
    See W. See 74k c. 1955
    Mar-Sue II
    See W. See 100k c. 1960
    On the Intercoastal Waterway in Virginia's North Landing River.
    You can see clearly in this photo where the deckhouse was extended in 1954.
    William L. Baxter
    See W. See 157k c. 1975
    Southern Branch Marina
    Chesapeake, VA (Now part of of River Walk subdivision)
    She is 60 years old in this photo and in need of some serious work at this time in her life.
    Misty Isle
    See W. See 206k c. 1977
    Smith's Marine Railway
    Grafton, York County, VA
    The old rotten canoe stern was removed and a round one built in it's place by Jack and K. T. Smith.
    William L. Baxter
    See W. See 230k c. 1977
    Knitting Mill Creek, off the Lafayette River
    Upon her return to Norfolk, VA. You can see the difference in the hull line with the rebuilt stern section
    See W. See 66k c. 1986
    Chickahominy River, Virginia
    This is pretty much what she looks like today
    Photo by Joe Lowery
    William L. Baxter
    See W. See 120k c. 1997
    Cutty Sark Marina
    Norfolk, VA
    Up on blocks during routine bottom maintenance
    See W. See 240k 11 August 2013
    Leaving Cape Charles, VA
    Photo by Michael J. Stiglitz

    View the See W. See (SP 740)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History