Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive


Call sign (1924):
Nan - Unit - Fox - Nan

ex-Barnett (SP 1149)
ex-The Barnett (SP 1149)

Call sign (1919):
George - Quack - Pup - Fox


  • Built in 1911 as The Barnett by John H. Dialogue and Son, Camden, NJ for the Jacksonville Towing and Wrecking Co. of Jacksonville, FL
  • Sold to the Steele Towing and Wrecking Co. of Galveston, TX
  • Acquired by the Navy 19 December 1917
  • Commissioned USS The Barnett (SP 1149), 21 December 1917 at Galveston, TX
  • Renamed Barnett
  • Reclassified as a Harbor Tug, YT-29, 17 July 1920
  • Decommissioned 3 July 1936
  • Struck from the Navy list 19 May 1936
  • Sold 24 September 1936 to Simmons-Lee Lighterage and Transit Co. of New York and renamed Richard Simmons
  • Sold in 1941 to the Card Towing Company of Norfolk, Virginia and renamed Raymond Card
  • Acquired in 1947 by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York
  • Scrapped in 1956.


  • Displacement 194 t.
  • Length 126'
  • Beam 21' 7"
  • Draft 9' 3"
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 19
  • Armament: Two 3-pounders and one machine gun
  • Propulsion: One single ended boiler, one 500hp compound steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Barnett 94k Photographed prior to World War I, probably while she was owned by the Steele Towing and Wrecking Company of Galveston, Texas
    U.S. Navy photo NH 100104
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: The Barnett--a steel hulled, single screw tug built in 1911 by John H. Dialogue of Camden, N.J.--was acquired by the Navy for use as a “section minesweeper” from the Steel Towage and Wrecking Co., of Galveston, Tex., who delivered her on 19 December 1917. Two days later, the tug--designated SP 1149--was commissioned for duty in the 8th Naval District. For the duration of hostilities, Barnett (the Navy seems to have dropped the definite article) operated out of New Orleans, sweeping the passes leading from the Gulf of Mexico to the main channel of the Mississippi River and carrying out district tug and tow services. On 17 July 1920, she was classified a harbor tug and designated YT 29.

    On 29 December 1921, she was assigned to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where she performed general duty for the next 14 years. Decommissioned on 3 July 1936, Barnett was towed to the Norfolk Navy Yard by Allegheny (AT 191) arriving there on 11 July. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1936. She was sold to the Lee Transit Co., of New York, on 24 September 1936, and was delivered to that firm on 3 October 1936.

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History