Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Identification Numbered Photo Archive

Barnegat (ID 1232)
ex-Luckenbach Tug No. 1 (ID 1232)

Call sign:
King - Jig - King - Yoke

Barnegat served both the U. S. Navy and Army


  • The first Barnegat was built in 1898 as M. E. Luckenbach by John H. Dialogue, Camden, NJ
  • Renamed Luckenbach Tug No. 1
  • Acquired by the Navy 12 October 1917 and commissioned USS Luckenbach Tug No. 1 (ID 1232) the same day
  • Renamed Barnegat 30 October 1917
  • Decommissioned in November 1919
  • Laid up at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in February 1920
  • Transferred to the War Department 20 August 1920
  • Sold in 1923
  • Her named does not appear on the Federal Government list of vessels after 1923
  • Registered in 1933 to the Crown Coal and Towing Co. of New Orleans, LA as the tug G. E. Roper
  • Abandoned in 1935
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 900 t.
    1933 - 439 t.
  • Length 138' 9"
  • Beam 27'
  • Draft 15'
    1933 - 16'
  • Speed 11.75 kts.
  • Complement 40
    1933 - 19
  • Armament: One 3"/50 mount and two Colt machine guns
  • Propulsion: One single ended boiler, one 1,000hp triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Barnegat (ID 1232) is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Paul Farley, USNRF12 October 1917
    02ENS John Alexander, USNRF1 January 1918
    03ENS Frank C. Moreland, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    View the Barnegat (SP 1232)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Identification Numbered (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History