Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Velocipede (SP 1258)


Motorboat:

  • Built in 1917 by the Charles L. Seabury Co., Morris Height, NY
  • Acquired by the Navy 27 October 1917
  • Commissioned 14 November 1917
  • Returned to her owner 6 February 1919
  • Struck from the Navy Register 20 February 1919
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 13 t.
  • Length 60'
  • Beam 11' 8"
  • Draft 2' 11"
  • Speed 21.7 kts.
  • Complement: Eight
  • Armament: One 1-pounder and one machine gun
  • Propulsion: Two 8-cylinder 200hp Speedway (Diesel) oil engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Velocipede
    Velocipede 148k Photographed soon after completion in 1917
    U.S. Navy photo 89775
    Naval Historical Center
    USS Velocipede (SP 1258)
    Russ 69k USS Russ (SP-1151), at left, and USS Velocipede (SP-1258), at right, at Miami, Florida, 27 June 1918
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives
    U.S. Navy photo 80-G-1017184
    Naval Historical Center
    Velocipede 76k In Florida waters, near Miami, 31 July 1918
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives
    U.S.Navy photo 80-G-1017185
    Velocipede
    Velocipede 117k Refitting at New York for the 1919 yachting season in the spring of that year. Many of these boats served as Navy section patrol ("SP") craft during World War I. Identifiable boats appear to include Velocipede (ex-Navy SP-1258), in the center, with bow toward camera, and Osprey II (ex-Navy SP-928) at far right.
    Halftone photographic reproduction published on the front cover of "The Rudder" magazine, June 1919.
    Courtesy of Robert F. Sumrall, 1972.
    U.S.Navy photo NH 75650
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Velocipede (SP-1258)-a motor boat constructed at Morris Heights, N.J., by the Charles L. Seabury Co.- was acquired by the Navy on 27 October 1917 under free lease from Mr. K. C. Atwood, Jr., of New York City, N.Y., for use as an aeronautical patrol boat; and commissioned on 14 November 1917.

    Assigned to the 7th Naval District, Velocipede served on patrol duties at the Naval Air Station, Miami, Fla., until after the armistice had ended hostilities on 11 November 1918. She remained in Navy hands until 6 February 1919 when she was returned to her owner.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History