Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Pleiades (ID 1616)
Civilian call sign (1919):
King - Pup - Sail - Love
Freighter:Built in 1900 by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, MDAcquired by the Navy 27 August 1918 and commissioned USS Pleiades (ID 1616) at New York the same dayStruck from the Navy Register 6 March 1919Decommissioned 7 March 1919 at Philadelphia, PA and transferred to the United States Shipping Board for return to her ownerRenamed Segundo in 1923Renamed Cabo Santa Maria in 1925Renamed Mina Piqurea in 1932Scrapped in Spain in 1950.
Specifications:Displacement 8,545 t.Length 331' 6"Beam 47'Draft 24'Speed 10 kts.Complement 81Armament: Two 4"/40 mountsPropulsion: Two single ended boilers, one 1,600hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Naval Historical Center photo NH 65117
||Photograph taken around the time of a 1917 inspection by the Third Naval District.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105281
||In service with the Luckenbach Steamship Co., probably between 1919 and 1923
Photo from Shipscribe.com
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Pleiades (ID 1616), built in 1900 by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md. was taken over by WSA [War Shipping Administration] from her owner, Luckenbach S.S. Co., New York, and turned over to the Navy, on bare boat charter, 26 August 1918; and commissioned 27 August 1918.
Refitted at New York for use as a NOTS vessel, on Army account, Pleiades completed one cargo run to France and back, before the end of the First World War, 11 November 1918. Following the Armistice, she crossed the Atlantic once more, returning to the United States 29 January 1919. Reconditioned, she decommissioned, 7 March 1919, and was returned to her owner, at Philadelphia, 18 March 1919.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|