Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Satsuma (SP 2038)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Fox - Boy - Vice
Freighter:Built in 1901 by Short Brothers, Ltd., Sunderland, EnglandAcquired by the Navy 1 October 1918 and commissioned the same dayDecommissioned 31 January 1919 at Brooklyn, NY, struck from the Navy Register and transferred to the United States Shipping Board for return to her ownerFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 10,150 t.Length 380' 3"Beam 48' 8"Draft 26' 4½"Depth of hold 28' 11"Speed 10 kts.Complement 70Armament: One 4"/50 mount and one 6-pounderPropulsion: Three single ended boilers, one 2,300hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port during World War I
U.S. Navy photo NH 102211
|Naval Historical Center
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:
A former province in Kyushu, Japan; towns in Alabama and Texas.Satsuma (SP-2038) was built during 1901 by Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland, England, as a single-screw freighter for a British firm; transferred to United States registry in 1914; acquired by the United States Shipping Board from the New York and Oriental Steam Ship Co. of New York to move Army cargo to Europe; delivered to the Navy at New York on 1 October 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. George A. Saunders, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) upon commissioning, Satsuma departed from New York on 12 October 1918 for Newport News to load cargo for French ports. Returning to New York in convoy, she continued on to St. Nazaire and Brest, France, with a cargo of horses, grain, and general cargo. Satsuma returned to New York on 23 December 1918 where she was detached from NOTS on 3 January 1919. Satsuma was simultaneously decommissioned, transferred to the Shipping Board, and returned to her owner on 31 January 1919 at Brooklyn, N.Y.
DANFS courtesy of Ramon Jackson
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|