Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Chatham (ID 2510)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Fox - Vice - Tare
Freighter/Collier:The second Chatham was built in 1916 as Margaret by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, MDAcquired by the Navy 13 March 1918Commissioned USS Margaret (ID 2510), 25 March 1918Renamed Chatham 18 April 1918Decommissioned 10 February 1919 at New York, struck from the Navy Register and transferred to the Shipping Board for return to her owners, the A. H. Bull Steamship Co. of New York CityRenamed MargaretSunk without survivors 14 April 1942 by the German submarine U-571There were survivors - According to Jason Tatum, there were a few survivors. His grandfather, Forest Gorden LeSueur, U.S. Navy was one of them.
Specifications:Displacement 7,523 t.Length 338'Beam 46' 2"Draft 22'Speed 11 kts.Complement 70Armament: One 5"/40 and one 3"/50 mountPropulsion: Two single ended and one auxiliary boiler, one 1,500hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Photographed on 6 April 1916, around the time of the ship's completion at Sparrows Point, Maryland
Naval Historical Center photo NH 95933
||This photograph may have been taken around the time of her inspection by the Third Naval District on 13 March 1918, the date on which she was delivered to the Navy
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105272.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The second Chatham (No. 2510) was launched in 1916 by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md., as Margaret; acquired 13 March 1918 on charter, commissioned 26 March 1918 as Margaret; Lieutenant Commander T. J. Sammons, USNRF, in command, reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, and was renamed Chatham 18 April 1918.
Between 1 April and 23 December 1918, Chatham made five voyages from east coast ports to France, carrying general cargo and supplies for the American Expeditionary Force, and on her last, for the Army of Occupation. She was decommissioned at New York 10 February 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|