Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Plymouth (ID 3308)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Fox - Pup - Mike
Freighter:Built in 1915 by the New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, NJAcquired by the Navy 30 July 1918Commissioned 2 August 1918Decommissioned and struck from the Navy Register 25 February 1919 at New York and returned to the United States Shipping Board (USSB) for return to her ownersSold in 1920 to the Green Star Steamship Co.Scrapped at Wilmington, Delaware in 1948.
Specifications:Displacement 10,750 t.Length 395' 1"Beam 55' 2"Draft 27'Speed 11 kts.Complement 70Armament: One 5"/40 and one 3"/50 mountPropulsion: Three single ended boilers, one 2,500hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Photographed by her builder, the New York Shipbuilding Company, at Camden, N.J., upon completion in late 1915
Naval Historical Center photo NH 65123
||Photograph may have been taken during an inspection by the Third Naval District on 1 August 1918
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105282
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: [The third] Plymouth (ID-3308), built in 1915 by the New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J., was taken over from the Italian-American Steamship Co. by USSB and simultaneously transferred to the Navy 30 July 1918, and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 2 August, Lt. Comdr. H[erman] A. von Pflugk, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Plymouth loaded military supplies at Baltimore, sailed for Hampton Roads 21 August 1918 to join a convoy bound for France, and arrived Brest 11 September. Upon returning to New York from La Palliee 17 October, the ship again sailed for France with an Army cargo, arriving at St. Nazaire 9 December 1918.
Plymouth returned to Philadelphia 10 January 1919 and steamed on to New York. She decommissioned there 25 February and transferred to USSB for disposal. She was sold to Green Star S. S. Co. in 1920.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|