Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive

West Mead (ID 3550)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Nan - Mike - Watch

San Angelo call sign (1933):
William - Dog - Interrogatory - Option


  • Built in 1918 as War Dido by the Ames Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Seattle, WA
  • Renamed West Mead prior to completion
  • Acquired by the Navy 29 October 1918 and commissioned USS West Mead (ID 3550) the same day
  • Decommissioned 9 June 1919, returned to the United States Shipping Board and struck from the Navy Register
  • Sold in 1927 to the Babcock Steamship Co. of New York and renamed Willanglo
  • Sold in 1929 to the Pacific-Atlantic Steamship Co. of Portland, OR and renamed San Angelo
  • Sold in 1940 to the Ministry of War Transport, London, England, managed by W. A. Souter and Co. of Newcastle and renamed Empire Springbuck
  • Torpedoed and sunk 9 September 1941 off Cape Farewell, Greenland by the German submarine U-81 while on passage from Cuba to Leith, Scotland via Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.


  • Displacement 12,225 t.
    1933 - 5,605 t.
  • Length 423' 9"
    1933 - 409.5'
  • Beam 54'
    1933 - 54.2'
  • Depth of hold 29' 9"
  • Draft 24' 2"
    1933 - 27.4'
  • Speed 10.5 kts.
  • Complement 70
    1933 - 39
  • Propulsion : Three single ended boilers, one 2,760hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of West Mead (ID 3550) is available at this time

    View the West Mead (ID 3550)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History