Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Lighthouse Tender Photo Archive

USCGC Greenbrier (WAGL 214)
ex-Greenbrier (River Tender)



Call sign (1927):
George - Vice - Mike - Cast

Greenbrier served the Lighthouse Service and Coast Guard


River Tender:

  • Built in 1924 by the Charles Ward Engineering Works, Charleston, West Virginia
  • Commissioned River Tender Greenbrier, 20 June 1924
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 1 July 1939 and commissioned USCGC Greenbrier (WAGL 214)
  • Decommissioned 19 September 1947
  • Sold 19 April 1948 to H. Lee and H. E. Rosher; Charles G. Smith Co.
  • Ended her career as a landing boat on the Intracoastal Canal
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 440 t.
  • Length 164' 6"
  • Beam 32' 6"
  • Draft 5'
  • Complement 26 (1925)
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Armament: One Anti-aircraft mounted on her Pilot House during World War II
  • Propulsion: Three coal-fired horizontal flue fire tube Mississippi-type boilers, two 250hp horizontal non-condensing steam engines, one stern paddle-wheel.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Greenbrier 207k Photo from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Digital Library
    U.S. Lighthouse Service photo
    Photo added 31 May 2021
    John Spivey
    Greenbrier 120k Photo from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Digital Library
    U.S. Lighthouse Service photo
    Greenbrier 116k

    Coast Guard History: The United States tender Greenbrier was a river tender that entered service on 20 June 1924. She was constructed with a steel hull and a composite superstructure. About 95-percent of her space was allotted to hotel features, and about 5-percent to buoy-tending features.

    She was based out of Cincinnati, Ohio and serviced aids to navigation for 443 miles on the Ohio and Kanawah Rivers. She was decommissioned on 19 September 1947 and was sold on 19 April 1948


    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Lighthouse Tender Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History