Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Lighthouse Tender Photo Archive
ex-USCGC Wakerobin (WAGL 251)
ex-Wakerobin (River Tender)
Call sign (1927):
George - Vice - Mike - Jig
Wakerobin served the Lighthouse Service, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Army
River Tender:Built in 1927 by the Dravo Construction Company, Neville Island, Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCommissioned River Tender Wakerobin, 15 April 1927Transferred to the Coast Guard 1 July 1939 and commissioned USCGC Wakerobin (WAGL 251)Decommissioned 18 December 1948Transferred on loan 18 April 1949 to the U.S. Army Corps of EngineersPermanently transferred to the Corps of Engineers 20 April 1955Shortly after she was sold to the Comet River Co. of Cincinnati, OH for use as a landing boatAcquired by Captain Dennis Trone of Chattanooga, TN for use as a harbor landing boat and as a wharfboat to back up for the stern-wheeler Julia Belle SwainSold in 1985 to B and B Riverboats of CincinnatiFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 622 t.Length 182'Beam 43'Draft 4' 2"Complement 33Speed 5 kts.Propulsion: Two Babcock & Wilcox three-pass, sectional-header oil-fired boilers, two 550hp horizontal non-condensing steam engines, one 11' 4" diameter buckets stern paddle-wheel.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|Photo from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Digital Library
U.S. Lighthouse Service photo
Coast Guard History: The Wakerobin was constructed as a river tender for service in the upper Mississippi River. She was designed to work in tandem with a construction barge that she pushed off her bow. She was the last stern-wheel tender built for the U. S. Lighthouse Service. She was commissioned on 15 April 1927 and was assigned to the 13th Lighthouse District at Rock Island, Illinois.
During World War II she was assigned to the 9th District and was stationed at Keokuk, Iowa and then Vicksburg, Mississippi. From Vicksburg she was used to tend aids to navigation on 438 miles of the lower Mississippi River, from Mile 400 to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In early 1945 she underwent a refit and was then transferred to Memphis, Tennessee where her area of operations included the area between Cairo, Illinois to the mouth of the Arkansas River.
Due to "exorbitant" operating and maintenance costs, Wakerobin was laid up at the Coast Guard Depot at Paris, Tennessee and placed "out of commission in reserve" on 18 December 1948. She was loaned to the "U.S. Army Engineers Corps" on 18 April 1949 and the transfer was made permanent on 20 April 1955.
This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright