Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Lighthouse Tender Photo Archive

USCGC Manzanita (WAGL 223)



Call sign (1945):
Nan - Roger - Yoke - Queen

ex-USLHT Manzanita



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Love - Unit


Call sign (1927):
George - Vice - Roger - Jig

Manzanita served the Lighthouse Service, the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard


Manzanita Class Lighthouse Tender:

  • Built in 1908 by the New York Shipbuilding Company, Camden, New Jersey
  • Commissioned USLHT Manzanita 7 June 1908
  • Transferred to the Navy 11 April 1917 and commissioned USS Manzanita
  • Returned to the Lighthouse Service 1 July 1919
  • Designated WAGL-223
  • Decommissioned 29 November 1946 and sold
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 677 t.
  • Length 190'
    1927 - 174'
  • Beam 30'
  • Draft 13' 3"
    1927 - 16'
  • Complement 28
    1927 - 31
  • Speed 12 kts.
    1942 - 13.5 kts.
  • Armament: Two 20mm mounts in 1945
  • Propulsion: Two coal fired Scotch-type boilers (Replaced with oil fired boilers in the early 1930s), two 550hp triple expansion inverted direct acting steam engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Manzaanita 80k Astoria, OR
    Photo from Washington Rural Heritage Community Digital Archives for Washington State website
    John Spivey
    Manzaanitae 115k Turn Point, WA
    Photo from Turning Point Lighthouse Preservation Society website

    Coast Guard History: After commissioning, the Manzanita and two other tenders, along with three new lightships, sailed around Cape Horn for duty along the Pacific coast. Manzanita was transferred to the Navy with the entire Lighthouse Service by Executive order 11 April 1917. She was returned to the custody of the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919. During World War II, she served out of Astoria, Oregon. In October, 1943, she laid antisubmarine cables off Prince Rupert, BC, Canada and Dutch Harbor, Alaska

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Lighthouse Tender Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History