Call sign (1924):
Nan - Able - Pup - Tare
Call sign (1927):
George - Vice - Nagative - Roger
Amaranth served the Lighthouse Service, the U.S. Navy and the Coast Guard
Lighthouse Tender:Built in 1892 by the Cleveland Ship Building Company, Cleveland, OhioLaunched 18 December 1891Commissioned USLHT Amaranth 14 April 1892Transferred to the Navy by Executive Order of 16 April 1917Returned to the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919On the morning of 23 July 1920, while supplying Passage Island Light Station, Lake Superior, Michigan, struck the rocks under water at the extreme southwesterly point of the island, breaking the shoe and rudder, with the total loss of the latter. Repairs were made by the Port Arthur Shipbuilding Company, Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada. She also received new boilers and then returned to serviceTransferred to the Navy again under Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941Designated WAGL-201Decommissioned 29 September 1945Sold 19 October 1946 and renamed South WindLaid up in 1954Fate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 975 t.1927 - 744 t.Length 166'1927 - 150'Beam 28'Draft 14'Complement 291907 - 171927 - 30Speed 10.4 kts.Armament: One 6-pounder. Later one 3"/50, two 20mm mounts and two depth charge tracksPropulsion: Two Page and Burton coal fired water tube Scotch-type boilers (converted from coal to oil fired in 1934), one 600hp compound inverted reciprocating steam engine, one shaft.