|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|Photographed circa 1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 65069
|Naval Historical Center
|Moored alongside another barge, circa 1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 102177
A river in central California.
The first San Joaquin, a wooden, schooner-rigged barge, built during 1876 at Freeport, Maine, was purchased during 1918 by the Navy from the Luckenbach Steam Ship Co., and placed in service on 8 August 1918, Chief Boatswain's Mate John J. Miller in charge.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service as a non-self-propelled lighter, San Joaquin made seven round-trip voyages between Norfolk and New England ports transporting coal. During these operations, San Joaquin was towed by the tugs Allegheny, Billow, Mohave, Pensacola, and Sagamore. She was detached on 27 March 1919 and assigned to local duty within the 5th Naval District. San Joaquin was struck from the Navy list on 13 June 1919 and sold on 11 September 1919 to the Neptune Line of New York, N.Y.
|Back to the Main Photo Index
|Back to the Unnumbered Ships (ID) Photo Index
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster
This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright