Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Army Ship Photo Archive

USED Snagboat R.E. DeRussy

Side-wheel Snagboat:
  • Built in 1867 at New Albany, IN. by Office of Western River Improvements
  • Launched, 20 December 1867
  • Designed by E. M. Shields under the direction of Col. John N. Macomb, Corps of Engineers, superintendent of Office of Western River Improvements.
  • Launched, 20 December 1867
  • Commissioned USED Snagboat R.E. DeRussy date unknown
  • Decommissioned and laid up at St. Louis, 2 October 1882
  • Final Disposition, dismantled in 1892 at the Gasconade Boatyard. M. where her cabin was used as an office. The 1910 annual report states: that the snagboat Horatio G. Wright "broke up parts of the wreck of the DeRussy at Bridgewater Inland, 5 October 1912, after a fire destroyed the office and whatever else remained from DeRussy at the Gasconade Boatyard. (
    Displacement unknown
    Length 150'
    Beam overall 62' (two 25' hulls spaced 12' apart)
    Draft 12'
    Speed unknown
    Complement unknown
    Crane unknown
    Auxiliary Machinery
    two engines operation the capstans and hoists
    two engines driving the saws
    Propulsion Machinery
    steam engines
    two side-wheels

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Source
    R.E. DeRussy
    R.E. DeRussy - (February 22, 1789 November 23, 1865) was an engineer, military educator, and career United States Army officer who was responsible for constructing many Eastern United States coastal fortifications, as well as some forts on the West Coast. He also served as superintendent of the United States Military Academy. He was promoted to brigadier general during the Civil War. (Wikipedia)
    Tommy Trampp
    R.E. DeRussy
    117k USED Snagboat R.E. DeRussy, just completed at the Portland, KY. landing in April 1868. She is built almost as two separate boats, twin hulls, twin pilot house, twin rudders, etc. The rollers for carrying the sawn logs out the stern of the boat are visible in the first photo. The second photo, a bow on photo of the business end of the boat, shows the A-frame above the shaped "snag beam" which was fixed but later replaced by a higher, movable A-frame to get better leverage and flexibilty in raising snags.
    Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen, Marietta OH, June 1995
    John Spivey
    R.E. DeRussy
    R.E. DeRussy
    131k USED Snagboat R.E. DeRussy removing a sunken log from the river, date and location unknown
    University of Missouri St. Louis, Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library
    John Spivey
    R.E. DeRussy

    There is no history available for USED Snagboat R.E. DeRussy at NavSource
    Back To The Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The US Army Ship Index Back To The US Army Snagboat, Drift/Debris Collector Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 5 May 2024