Please Report Any Broken Links Or Trouble You Might Come Across To The Webmaster.
Please Take A Moment To Let Us Know So That We Can Correct Any Problems And Make Your Visit As Enjoyable And As Informative As Possible.
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
By And/Or Copyright
|81k||Fort Fisher operation, December 1864 -- January 1865. Lithograph by Endicott & Company, New York, circa 1865, entitled "Monitor Iron-Clads and the New Ironsides, Forming part of the Fleet of Rear Admiral D.D. Porter, U.S.N. riding out a Gale of Wind, at Anchor off Fort Fisher, Coast of North Carolina, December 21, 1864." The print is dedicated by the publisher to Assistant Secretary of the Navy Gustavus V. Fox. Monitors in the foreground and middle distance are (from left to right) Monadnock (twin-turret), Canaonicus, Mahopac and Saugus. Ships in the distance (from left to left-center) are: Brooklyn, New Ironsides, Juniata, Tacony and Malvern.||Collection of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 1936. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 42241.|
|69k||Fort Fisher operation, December 1864 -- January 1865. 19th-Century painting, by an unidentified artist, depicting U.S. Navy ironclads bombarding Fort Fisher during one of the two assaults that ended in its capture. Twin-turret monitor in the center foreground is Monadnock. Large broadside ironclad beyond is New Ironsides. The three single-turret monitors are Canonicus, Mahopac and Saugus.||Presented by Albert Rosenthal, January 1935. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 42240.|
|120k||Federal ironclads in Trent's Reach, James River, Virginia photographed circa early 1865. Nearest ship is Saugus, with a mine sweeping "torpedo rake" attached to her bow. Next monitor astern is probably Sangamon. Visible just to the right of her is either Mahopac or Canonicus. Last two ships are Atlanta and Onondaga. Photographed by the Matthew Brady organization. Note the log boom across the river in the foreground and the signal tower atop the hill in the right distance.||Photograph from the Collections of the U.S. National Archives. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 111-B-80.|
|102k||Mahopac officers on deck, probably on the James River in the spring of 1865. Note gun port covers hung on the monitor's turret, apparent shot hole in the bullet-proof iron screen at the turret top, and bell on the turret side. Photographed by the Matthew Brady organization. The original negative is # 111-B-418 in the National Archives.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph. USNHC # NH 59428.|
|44k||Mahopac in the Appamatox river, circa 1865.||USN photo courtesy of DANFS.|
|118k||Washington Navy Yard, District of Columbia. View looking south from Building # 1, showing the trophy gun park in the foreground, with coal piles and the sheer crane beyond, circa 1866-69. Most of the guns visible are former Confederate pieces, many of which were still on exhibit at the Washington Navy Yard in the year 2001. The monitors Mahopac (center) and Saugus (right) are laid up in the Anacostia River, in the background, with their turrets still painted as they were in 1864-65.||Courtesy of Robert A. Truax, 1978. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 1473-A.|
|89k||Four monitors laid up in the Anacostia River, off the Washington Navy Yard, circa 1866. Ships are (from left to right): Mahopac, Saugus, Montauk (probably); and either Casco or Chimo. Photo mounted on a stereograph card, marked: "Photographed and published by Kilburn Brothers, Littleton, N.H.".||Courtesy of Paul H. Silverstone, 1982. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 93868.|
|134k||Washington Navy Yard, District of Columbia. Washington Navy Yard, D.C. View looking eastward along the waterfront from atop the roof of the western shiphouse, June 1866. The 11th Street bridge and the Anacostia shore are in the distance. Ships in the stream at right include three monitors and a former Confederate torpedo boat of the large David type. Monitor to the left in that group is either Chimo or Casco. The other two are Mahopac (center of group) and Saugus (to right). The ex-CSS Stonewall is anchored in the river, in the center of the view. Half visible on the marine railway (at left) is a "double-ender" gunboat, probably Ascutney. Dismasted screw steamer alongside the waterfront in center may be Marblehead. Ship in right foreground, alongside the masting sheers, may be Resaca. The experimental firing battery is just beyond the shiphouse, in the left center foreground, flanked by what appears to be a ship's smokestack on one side and a mortar and a shot pile on the other.||Photographed by Brady & Company, Washington, D.C. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 57928.|
|376k||A guest studies a painting depicting the history of battleships. The artwork was painted by George Skybeck and presented to the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association during their annual banquet at Honolulu, Hawaii, on 8 Dec 1991.||USN photo # DN-SC-92-05391, by PHC Carolyn Harris, from the Department of Defense Still Media Collection, courtesy of dodmedia.osd.mil.|
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To The Battleship Photo Index Page|