Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive

USS Uranus (AF-14)

International Radio Call Sign:
November - Bravo - Echo - Golf
NBEG
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons


Precedence of awards is from top to bottom, left to right
Top Row - American Defense Service Medal (with Fleet clasp) - American Campaign Medal
Second Row - Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign Medal - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal


Uranus Class Stores Ship:
  • Built in 1933 as SS Helga by Helsingoors Shipbuilding Works, Elsinore, Denmark, for J. Lauritzen A/S, (JL), Copenhagen, Denmark
  • Renamed SS Caravelle in 1938
  • Renamed SS Marie in 1940
  • Acquired by the US Navy from the Maritime Commission, 11 August 1941
  • Converted for Naval service at Robbins Drydock Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.
  • Commissioned USS Uranus (AF-14), 27 October 1941, at Brooklyn, N.Y., CDR. Orrin R. Hewitt, in command
  • Decommissioned, 8 May 1946, at Norfolk, VA.
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 9 May 1946, for return to J. Lauritzen
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 21 May 1946
  • Merchant Service
    Returned to merchant service by J. Lauritzen as SS Maria Dan, re-flagged Danish, registered at Esbjerg, Denmark, engaged in carrying wood pulp from the Baltic to the United Kingdom until about 1959
    Sold to Chrisot M. Sarlis, Patras, Greece, in 1959, renamed SS Michael
  • Final Disposition, sold for scrapping to Sveti Kajo, Split, Yugoslavia in 1968
    Specifications:
    Displacement 3,540 t.(fl)
    Length 269' 6"
    Beam 39' 6"
    Draft 16'
    Speed 11.5 kts (trial)
    Complement
    Officers 13
    Enlisted 80
    Largest Boom Capacity 3 t.
    Cargo Capacity 1,415 DWT
    refrigerated 112,500 Cu ft.
    Armament
    two single 3"/50 cal dual purpose gun mounts
    six single 20mm AA gun mounts
    Fuel Capacities
    NSFO 2,450 Bbls
    Diesel 310 Bbls
    Propulsion
    one Helsingoors double vertical double expansion single exhaust reciprocating steam engine
    two Scotch boilers, 210psi, Sat.
    single Helsingoors Main Reduction Gears
    Ship's Service Generators
    one Diesel-drive 60Kw 120V D.C.
    two Diesel-drive 40Kw 120V D.C.
    single propeller, 1,140shp

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Contributed
    By
    USS Uranus (AF-14)
    Uranus
    19-N-60186
    112k USS Uranus (AF-14) off Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, 11 December 1943.
    US National Archives, RG-19-LCM, . Photo #'s 19-N-60186 and 19-N-60188, US Navy Bureau of Ships photos now in the collections of the US National Archives
    Robert Hurst
    Uranus
    19-N-60188
    112k
    Uranus
    19-N-81361
    80k USS Uranus (AF-14) at San Francisco, 19 September 1944
    US National Archives, RG-19-LCM, Photo #'s 19-N-81361, 19-N-81363 and 19-N-81364, US Navy Bureau of Ships photos now in the collections of the US National Archives
    Robert Hurst and Mike Green
    Uranus
    19-N-81363
    105k
    Uranus
    19-N-81364
    104k
    Merchant Service
    Uranus 84k Ex-Uranus (AF-14) at the breakers yard, Sveti Kajo, Split, Yugoslavia in 1968 David Nixon

    USS Uranus (AF-14)
    DANFS history entry located at the US Naval History and Heritage Command
    Commanding Officers
    01CDR. Hewitt, Orrin Russell27 October 1941 - ?
    02LCDR. Hackett, Emmos Jackson, USNR30 October 1943 - ?
    03LT. Presper, Stewart Herman, USNR11 April 1945
    04LT. Anderson, Alexander Francis, USNR1 July 1945 - 8 May 1946
    Courtesy Wolfgang Hechler and Ron Reeves

    Crew Contact And Reunion Information
    U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation - Navy Log

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To The Service Force Ship Type Index Back To The Stores Ship (AF) Photo Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 8 November 2013