Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive
USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115)
International Radio Call Sign:
Mission Dolores (AO-115) (1947 - 1949)
November - Hotel - Papa - Bravo
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons
Precedence of awards is from left to right
National Defense Service Medal
Mission Buenaventura Class Fleet Oiler:
Laid down, 18 February 1944, as SS Mission Dolores, a Maritime Commission type (T2-SE-A2) tanker hull, under Maritime Commission contract (MC 1818) at Marinship, Sausalito, CA.
Launched, 26 April 1944
Delivered to Pacific Tankers, Inc, 31 May 1944, at Sausalito, CA.
Returned to the Maritime Commission, 17 May 1946, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA..
Acquired by the Navy, 20 October 1947, designated Mission Dolores (AO-115) and assigned to the Naval Transportation Service (NTS)
Absorbed into the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS), 1 October 1949 and redesignated USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115)
Placed out of service, 30 March 1955
Struck from the Naval Register, and returned to the Maritime Administration for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA., 22 June 1955
Reacquired by the Navy, 27 June 1956, and placed in service with MSTS on the same date
Place out of service, struck from the Naval Register and returned to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA., 19 September 1957
Transferred by MARAD, 21 April 1969 to Sea-Land Service Inc. for conversion to a containership
Renamed SS Tampa, 30 October 1969
Sold to Reynolds Leasing Corp., 24 September 1970
Final Disposition, scrapped May 1984
Displacement 5,532 t.(lt) 21,880 t.(fl)
Length 523' 6"
Draft 30' 10"
Speed 15.1 kts (trial)
17 US Navy Armed Guard
one single 5"/38 dual purpose gun mount
four single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mounts
four twin 40mm AA gun mounts
four twin 20mm AA gun mounts
Cargo Capacity 15,300DWT
Oil 120,400 Bbls
Gasoline 575,000 Gals
Fuel Capacity NSFO 9,235 Bbls
one General Electric turbo-electric engine
two Babcock and Wilcox D-type boilers, 600psi 825°
Ship's Service Generators
two turbo-drive 400Kw 450V A.C.
two turbo-drive 85Kw 120V D.C.
two turbo-drive 55Kw 120V D.C.
one turbo-drive 50Kw 450V A.C.
single propeller, 10,000shp
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115)
Mission Dolores Basilica or Mission San Francisco de Asís, is the oldest surviving structure in San Francisco and the sixth religious settlement established as part of
the California chain of missions. The Mission was founded on October 9, 1776, by Francisco Palóu (a companion of Junípero Serra) and Co-founder Fray Pedro Benito Cambón,
both members of the de Anza Expedition, which had been charged with bringing Spanish settlers to Alta (upper) California and with evangelizing the local Natives, the
Ohlone. Some of the Mission's buildings have been turned into businesses, including a print shop and several saloons. (Wikipedia)
||USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115) moored, date and location unknown
||USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115) underway, probably near Long Beach CA., date unknown.
||USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115) underway in the harbor at Long Beach CA., date unknown.
| Merchant Service
||Ex-USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115) while in service as the Sea-Land container carrier SS Tampa underway on the Weser River departing Bremen, Germany in May 1971.
||Photo by Gerhard Mueller-Debus
USNS Mission Dolores (T-AO-115)
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS)
Crew Contact And Reunion Information
Fleet Tankers Association
U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation - Navy Log
Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
MARAD Vessel History Data Base
Last Updated 19 March 2021
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|