Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
(AG-138: dp. 935 (f.); 1. 177'; b. 32'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 26; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. AG-130)
Ryer (AG-138), built in 1944 for commercial use by the Sturgeon Bay Ship Building & Dry Docking Co. of Sturgeon Bay, Wis., was accepted by the Army and designated FS-361 on 28 February 1944, taken over by the Navy 22 February 1947; named Ryer and designated AG-138 on 8 April 1947; and commissioned on 8 June 1947.
Redesignated AKL-9 on 31 March 1949, Ryer was used by the Navy until the summer of 1950 on logistic support and surveillance missions in the Marianas, Caroline, Bonin, and Marshall Islands. During the Korean Conflict, she carried ammunition between Sasebo and various Korean ports, including Pusan and Inchon, September 1950 to September 1951. From Korean duty, the ship returned to logistic support and surveillance duties in Micronesia, with her home port at Guam. She continued this service until returning to the United States for decommissioning
Ryer was placed in commission, in reserve, on 18 June 1955 and out of commission, in reserve, at Astoria, Oreg., on 4 August 1955. At Astoria until struck from the Navy list at San Diego on 1 July 1961, She was delivered to her purchaser, Pacific Tow-Boat & Salvage Co., Long Beach, Calif., on 25 January 1962.
Ryer earned six battle stars for service in the Korean Conflict.
Contributed by Ramon Jackson
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To The Service Ship Photo Index||Back To The Miscellaneous Auxiliary (AG) Photo Index||Back To The Light Cargo Ship (AKL) Photo Index||Back To the Main Ryer (AG-138/AKL-9) Page|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.|
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|
© 2005 Gary P. Priolo © 1996 - 2007 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.