Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Tapacola (IX 230)
ex-AMc-54



Call sign:
Nan - William - George - Love


Accentor Class Coastal Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 10 January 1941 by Snow Shipyards, Inc., Rockland, ME
  • Launched 3 June 1941
  • Commissioned USS Tapacola (AMc 54), 20 September 1941 under the command of LTJG Russell E. Fitzpatrick, USNR
  • Reclassified as an Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary IX-230, 10 August 1945
  • Decommissioned 28 May 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 29 October 1946
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration in April 1947
  • Acquired in 1948 by Tiger Island Boats, Inc. of Morgan City, LA and used a a tugboat
  • Acquired in 1952 by Nelson Brothers Towing of Citronelle, AL
  • Acquired in 1956 by United River Service of New Orleans, LA
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 275 t.
  • Length 98' 5"
  • Beam 23' 7"
  • Draft 10' 8"
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One .50 cal. machine gun
  • Propulsion: One 450bhp Fairbanks-Morse 35-F-14 diesel engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Tapacola 59k Naval History and Heritage Command photo NR&L(M) 30701 from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships Robert Hurst

    View the Tapacola (AMc 54)
    DANFS history entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back To The Coastal Mine Sweeper (AMc) Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Ship Photo Index Back to the Miscellaneous Unclassified Auxiliary (IX) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History