Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive
Nightingale (IX 177)
ex-Nightingale (AMc 149)
Nightingale call sign:
Nan - Easy - Sugar - Uncle
YP-150 call sign:
Nan - Uncle - Mike - Zebra
Nightingale Class Coastal Minesweeper:Built in 1940 as Saint Francis by the Western Boat Building Co., Tacoma, WAAcquired by the Navy 13 December 1941 and designated as a District Patrol Craft, YP-150Converted to a Coastal Minesweeper, AMc-149, 21 December 1941Named Nightingale 22 April 1942Placed in service 21 May 1942 at Seattle, WAReclassified as an Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary, IX-177, 10 July 1944 for use as a training shipPlaced out of service 3 December 1945Struck from the Navy Register 7 February 1946Transferred to the War Shipping Administration in April 1946 for disposalFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 160 t.Length 93'Beam 24' 1"Draft 9' 5"Speed 11 kts.Complement 17Armament: Four machine gunsPropulsion: One 350shp Enterprise diesel engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
Nightingale - Any of several small European thrushes noted for sweet nocturnal song
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: The fourth Nightingale was built by Western Boat Building Co. Tacoma, Wash. in 1940 as Saint Francis, a woodenhulled, diesel-powered purse seiner. She was acquired by the Navy from her owner, Hubert Ursich, at Tacoma 13 December 1941. Designated YP-150, she performed district patrol duties in the Seattle area.
YP-150 entered the Western Boat Building Co. yard at Tacoma 21 December for conversion to a coastal minesweeper. Renamed Nightingale 22 April 1942, she was placed in service as AMc-149 at Seattle 21 May. Redesignated IX-177 on 10 July 1944, after all the minesweeping equipment had been removed, she continued operations in the Puget Sound area. These included utility services with the Torpedo Training Program out of Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.
She was placed out of service 3 December 1945 at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash., struck from the Navy List 7 February 1946, and returned to the War Shipping Administration
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|