Standard Arrow Specifications:
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|SS Standard Arrow|
|71k||Underway, probably prior to her World War I Navy service
US Navy Photo NH 65062-A
|Naval Historical Center|
|USS Standard Arrow (ID 1532)|
|129k||In a French port, circa 1918, with crated flying boats as deck cargo. A U.S. Navy "airboat" is passing by in the foreground. At left, beyond the breakwater, are the French submarines Daphne
Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1977
US Navy Photo NH 85456
|Naval Historical Center|
|USS Signal (IX 142)|
|138k||A rare photo of a station tanker in action: USS Signal (IX-142) at Ulithi [atoll, Caroline Islands] in 1945. The ship is probably preparing to receive USS Oneida (APA-221) alongside for refueling
National Archives photo 80-G-408151
|01||LT W. S. Tross, USNR||1945|
Standard Arrow (ID-1532) was built in 1916 by the New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J.; and was operated by the Standard Transportation Co., N.Y., as the tanker SS Standard Arrow. She was acquired by the Navy on a bareboat charter and commissioned on 22 August 1917.
At the beginning of the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) on 9 January 1918, the tanker was assigned to that service for duty. At the time, she was en route from Devonport, England, to New York. She arrived there on 19 January and was refitted for Navy duty. She loaded a cargo of fuel oil and sailed for Devonport on 4 February. On the same day, she collided with the tanker, SS Norman Bridge, damaged her steering gear, and sprang a leak in her forward hold. She returned to port, discharged her cargo to Maumee, and was drydocked until the 25th.
Standard Arrow then replenished her cargo and sailed with a convoy for England, arriving at Portsmouth on 16 March 1918. Between that day and 17 December 1918, the tanker made five additional trips to Europe. Upon her arrival at New York in December, she was scheduled for demobilization.
Standard Arrow was decommissioned on 29 January 1919, returned to the Shipping Board, and subsequently returned to her original owner on 13 February 1919.
Standard Arrow-a merchant tanker built by the New York Shipbuilding Co. at Camden, N. J., in 1916 -was acquired by the Navy on 4 April 1944 and commissioned on the same date as Signal (IX-142).
Signal supported the war effort in the Pacific by carrying and storing oil for Service Squadron 10, based at Majuro and Ulithi atolls. She remained with the Navy until 20 February 1946, at which time she was returned to her owner. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946, and Signal returned to merchant service for about a year before being scrapped in 1947.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back to the Civilian Identification Numbered Ships (ID) Photo Index||Back to the Auxiliary Ship Type Index||Back to the Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary Ship (IX) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|