Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
|100k||"The Great Naval Expedition" to capture Port Royal, South Carolina, November 1861. Engraving published in "Harper's Weekly", July-December
1861 volume, pages 696-697, depicts Federal warships and transports, under Flag Officer Samuel F. DuPont, USN, departing Hampton Roads, Virginia, en route to Port
Royal. Ships, as identified below the image bottom, are (from left): (illegible),
USS O.M. Pettit,
USS Gem of the Sea,
USS Wabash (DuPont's flagship),
USS Alabama and (illegible).
US Naval History and Heritage Command Photo #: NH 59315
|78k||"Army & Navy Reconnaissance. Tuesday Morning Nov. 5" 1861
Line engraving published in "The Soldier in Our Civil War", Volume I, page 189, depicting Federal ships investigating Port Royal Sound, South Carolina, prior to their
successful attack on Confederate fortifications there.
Ships and other items identified across the bottom of the print include (from left to right):
USS Mercury, with Generals Sherman and Stevens & staff on board;
USS Penguin, with Hilton Head Battery beyond;
USS Pawnee; Broad River (in distance);
CSS Huntress (distance);
USS Seneca; Steamer Screamer (distance);
USS Ottawa with Capt. Rogers & General Wright on board;
Steamer Everglades (distance, beyond Ottawa;
CSS Lady Davis (distance); Beaufort River (distance); Bay Point Battery (distance); USS Curlew; (probably misidentified as no record exists that USS Curlew served with South Atlantic Blockading Squadron) Confederate camp (distance);
USS Isaac Smith.
US Navy photo # NH 59319
|142k||Admiral DuPonts machine ship in Charleston Harbor, S.C. This is the only known image (however inaccurate) of what may be the tug
USS Mercury For the purpose of saving time spent by vessels of the Southern Blockading Squadron being sent North for repairs, Admiral DuPont established a floating machine-shop in Station Creek, near Hilton Head, where such work was done. He took two of the old whale-ships which were sent down with the “Stone Fleet”, placed them side by side. One of them was housed over to provide an area for a steam-engine which was needed to drive various machinery needed to facilitate ship repair. The building was divided for different operations as found in machine shops, such as a pattern room, boiler-makers room, with heavy forges, brass founders’ room, etc. The other vessel had furnaces, s store-house, and quarters for “contrabands”.
Illustration from Frank Leslies book “The Soldier in Our Civil War: a Pictorial History of the Conflict” Vol. II.
|134k||Correspondence from Admiral DuPont confirming the existence of the repair facility at Station Creek.||Bill Gonyo|
|42k||Ships of the Stone Fleet||Bill Gonyo|
|01||Act. Master Martin, Samuel G.||11 November 1861 - 10 February 1862|
|02||Act. Master Rockwell, John E. (temp)||10 February 1862 - ?|
|03||Act. Ensign Center, Sturgis||7 June 1864 - ?|
|04||Act. Ensign Nelson, Thomas||1864 - ?|
|05||Act. Master Morris, William G.||13 June 1865 - ?|
|06||Mate, Brown, John (Academy)||30 September 1865 - 1 January 1869|
|Back To The Navsource Photo Archives Main Page||Back To The Old Navy" Steam and Sail Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.|
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|