Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Linnet (IX-166)



Call sign:
Nan - Item - Sugar - Fox

ex-AM-76


Converted Minesweeper:
  • Built by Bath Iron Works, Bath, ME (YN 121)
  • Laid down, 18 June 1928
  • Launched, 15 December 1928
  • Delivered to F.J. O'Hara & Sons, Boton, MA, as beam trawler Georgetown (ON 228098), 19 December 1928
  • Acquired by Navy, 04 September 1940
  • Converted to minesweeper by Bethelem Steel Co., East Boston, MA, September 1940 - March 1941
  • Commissioned USS Linnet (AM-76), 03 March 1941
  • Reclassified as Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary IX-166, 20 April 1944
  • Decommissioned at Boston, MA, 18 December 1944
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 20 January 1945
  • Transferred to WSA (War Shipping Administration) for disposal, 31 July 1945
  • Registered to Trawler Cambridge, Inc. as Cambridge, 1945
  • Later registered to Earl Stroman, New Bedford, MA
  • Final disposition, out of documentation, 1977
    Specifications:
    Hull Steel
    Displacement 410 tons displacement
    Length 123' 10"
    Beam 23' 0"
    Draft 12' 0"
    Speed 10 knots
    Complement unknown
    Armament
    one 3"/23 gun
    two .30 calliber machine guns
    Propulsion
    one Fairbanks-Morse diesel
    single propeller, 400hp
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Trawler Georgetown
    Linnet
    110207601
    146k Seen here as trawler Georgetown c. 1940 about the time she was acquired by the U.S. Navy
    U.S. Navy photo NH 101777
    Naval Historical Center
    Namesake
    Linnet
    110207603
    21k The linnet is a small songbird of the finch family found in Europe, Africa and Asia. Tommy Trampp
    USS Linnet (AM-76)
    Linnet
    110207602
    100k Underway, 04 February 1941. Original photo: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
    Replacement photo: Robert Hurst
    Kite
    110207503
    149k 2 August 1941
    USS Kite (AM 75) and USS Linnet receiving post-commissioning alterations at Wet Slip No. 3, Norfolk Navy Yard, 02 August 1941.
    Photos by George Strock, Life Magazine, used for educational and non-commercial purpose
    John Chiquoine / Brian Baird
    Kite
    110207504
    313k
    Linnet
    110207604
    294k

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR William Burton Holden, USN3 March 1941
    02LT Theodore Wolcott, USNR15 June 1941
    03LT Merritt Berner, USNR29 December 1941
    04LTJG Herbert Edward Ost, USNR12 November 1943
    05LT William Paul Croxton, USNR15 May 1944 - 18 December 1944
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler and Ron Reeves

    View the Linnet (AM-76)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History & Heritage Command website
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Ship Index Back to the Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary Ship (IX) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page was created by Joseph M. Radigan (of blessed memory) and maintained by David L. Wright
    All Pages 1996 - 2023, NavSource History, All rights reserved.
    Last Updated 14 July 2023