Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Gunboat/Patrol Gunboat Photo Archive


PGM-17 call sign:
Nan - Uncle - Fox - Item


PC-1189 call sign:
Nan - Peter - Yoke - Zebra

Sunk in October 1945

PGM-9 Class Motor Gunboat:

  • Laid down 10 August 1943 as PC-1189 by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, FL
  • Launched 14 April 1944
  • Reclassified as a Motor Gunboat, PGM-17, 16 August 1944
  • Commissioned USS PGM-17, 24 November 1944
  • Assigned to the Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto, 25 March - 30 June 1945
  • Struck a reef off Kouri Island, Okinawa, salvaged and towed back to Zamami Shima, Kerama Retta. Beached at Agana Ura and allowed to sink in the shallows
  • Condemned on 2 July 1945 and decommissioned
  • Struck from the Naval Register 24 October 1945 and disposed of by sinking off Kerama Retta later that month.


  • Displacement 280 t. (lt), 450 t. (fl)
  • Length 173' 8"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 10"
  • Speed 20 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose mount, one twin 40mm gun mount, six 20mm guns, one twin .50 cal. machine gun, and one 60mm mortar
  • Propulsion: Two 1,480bhp Hooven-Owen-Rentschler RB-99 DA diesel engines, Westinghouse single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PGM-17 82k 12 November 1944
    Builder's trials off Jacksonville, FL
    Bob Daly/PC-1181
    PGM-17 70k 12 November 1944
    Builder's trials off Jacksonville, FL
    National Archives photo
    Rob Rielly
    USS PGM-17
    PGM-17 265k 12 November 1944
    The hooded weapons are six single 20mm guns. Positions between the bulwark and the pilothouse were to have been occupied by single 0.50" guns, the mounting rings for which are visible. Note the small pipe shown in above photo that has replaced the massive false funnel
    Photos from U.S. Small Combatants: An Illustrated Design History, by Norman Friedman
    Original photo: Bob Daly/PC-1181
    Replacement photo: Robert Hurst
    PGM-17 444k Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG James W. Belshaw, USNR24 November 1944 - December 1944
    02LT Edwin L. Williams, Jr., USNRDecember 1944 - 25 May 1945
    03LT Andrew Edington, USNR25 May 1945 - 2 July 1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    The Log of the PGM-17

    Her keel was laid down as the PC-1189 at the Gibbs Gas Engine Company shipyard in Jacksonville, Florida on Tuesday, 10 August 1943. Her hull was launched on Friday, 14 April 1944 with Miss Mary L. Banes as her sponsor. On Wednesday, 16 August 1944, her classification was changed from PC-1189 to PGM-17. The converted subchaser was commissioned as the [Motor] gunboat PGM-17 on Friday, 24 November 1944 with James W. Belshaw, Lt.(jg) USNR as commissioning skipper. Fitting out was done at the builders yard and at the Mayport Naval Air Station dock, Mayport, Florida.

    Four weeks later, during shake down at the Submarine Chaser Training Center (SCTC) in Miami, Edwin L. Williams, Lt., USNR took over as the regular skipper with Lt. Belshaw ordered to new construction.

    After an intense 60 day training period culminating with a night gunnery and bombardment practice at Women Key off Key West and the final SCTC inspection, the gunboat was given a ten day availability period at the Charleston Navy Yard for last minute repairs and alterations.

    After loading ammunition, fuel and supplies they left Charleston, South Carolina steaming independently for San Diego via the Panama Canal with a stop at Manzanillo, Mexico for fuel. On Thursday, 25 January 1945 they arrived at the U.S. Naval Repair Base, San Diego. A dive boat came alongside and after hull inspection, the divers confirmed that one of the blades on the starboard prop was bent.

    The following day they entered the dry dock YFD-43 to repair the screw. A few days later, after dock side trials were completed they took on supplies and fuel and were underway for Pearl Harbor in company with the
    PGM-20. After two days steaming west, the gunboats ran into heavy weather and lost contact with each other. Slowing down to one-third speed, taking the seas on the port quarter, they pitched and rolled their way into Pearl Harbor arriving there on Thursday, 8 February 1945.

    Two weeks later on Wednesday, 21 February 1945, steaming in company with the PGM-20 and PGM-11, they headed for Eniwetok Atoll stopping at Johnson Island for fuel and water on Friday, 23 February 1945.

    From Eniwetok they became part of convoy TU 96.6.1 proceeding westward to Ulithi Atoll via Guam. Forward speed of the convoy was set at six knots and they took up there position on the starboard beam of the convoy. The convoy consisted of thirty-six LCI's, 2 YMS, seven tugs with tows, the USS DEPERM (YDG-10), a converted PCE and the PGM's 11, 17 and 20.

    On Monday, 12 March 1945 they left the convoy under orders to find and escort the fleet tug [Delaware] AT-53 with a tow into Apra Harbor, Guam arriving there at 0730 hours the following morning. Underway again at 1640 hours they caught up with the convoy and assumed their position on the starboard beam of the convoy.

    The convoy arrived at Ulithi at 0945 hours on Thursday, 15 March 1945. They went alongside the USS NESHANIC (AO-71) for fuel and fresh water and then shifted their berth to go alongside the engine repair ship USS MONA ISLAND (ARG-9) for engine spares and repairs.

    On Sunday, 18 March 1945, moving around the anchorage with the PGM's 9 and 20 they went alongside the minelayer USS WEEHAWKEN (CM-12), which had just taken over the duty as a tender for motor minesweepers to take on supplies. Then alongside the USS LIGNITE (IX-162) and the USS CINNABAR (IX-163), (concrete supply barges), for general stores and provisions. They finally anchored in Ulithi's north anchorage at 2030 hours.

    From a Quartermasters personal diary:

    "The following day we were underway at 0930 hours, heading north for the Okinawa lima operation in the Ryukyu Islands, on a base course of 326 as part of TG 52.4 (Mine Group 2). The forward speed was set at 10 knots. Also assigned to the Task Group were the PGM's 9, 10, 11, 18, and 20 and the PC's 584, 1128, and PC-1179.

    Friday, 23 March 1945 - We went alongside the minesweeper USS RANSOM (AM-283) for an underway refueling. Took on 4000 gallons of diesel oil. Then on to the USS HARRY F. BAUER (DM-26) to pick up, receive and deliver mail. Before returning to our steaming station we delivered mail to the PGM-18.

    Sunday, 25 March 1945 - At first light, General Quarters was sounded as we took our position astern of Sweep Unit 14 of Mine Division Seven on our first sweep through the Kerama Retta channels. We destroyed a type 140 Japanese mine with small arms fire.

    1800 hours - Commenced night retirement plan on a reciprocal course and secured from General Quarters.

    Monday, 26 March 1945 - On station with Sweep Unit 14 in the Kerama Retta. At 1510 hours we left the sweep unit to scout out and destroy a reported enemy torpedo boat. After 30 minutes we were recalled to the unit.

    1830 hours - Into night retirement plan.

    Tuesday, 27 March 1945 - At dawn, General Quarters was sounded for Sweep Unit 14 now off the west Coast of Okinawa Shima. We destroyed four Japanese mines before night retirement and stayed at General Quarters.

    Wednesday - Saturday 28 - 31 March 1945 - Destroyed three Japanese mines cut loose by Sweep Unit 14 off Okinawa. Stayed at General Quarters.

    Sunday, 1 April 1945 - "Love Day" (Invasion of Okinawa) - Steaming in company with Sweep Unit 14
    off Okinawa.

    0636 hours - Commenced firing at enemy aircraft identified as a Aichi "Val" dive bomber (fixed landing gear). Several 40 mm hits were observed. Aircraft crashed astern of a nearby destroyer escort. For night retirement the Sweep Unit returned to the Kerama Retta anchorage for stores and fuel.

    We received stores from the net layer USS KEOKUK (AKN-4) before anchoring for the night.

    With beginning of Operation "Iceberg", as the Okinawan campaign was called, swarms of "Kamikaze" aircraft from 55 air bases on the Japanese home island of Kyushu, 65 air bases on Formosa and the Sakishima Islands relentlessly attacked the invasion fleet. By the end of the campaign over 1900 suicide missions had been flown.

    Monday, 2 April 1945 - After a night at General Quarters and firing at enemy aircraft, we were underway with Sweep Unit 14 off Kerama Retta. For the night retirement plan we returned to our anchorage at Kerama Retta and spent another night with our ready guns manned.

    The following morning we were underway at 0630 hours to stand by the LST-599 to assist in fighting a fire as a result of her being hit by a "Kamikaze aircraft. Spent the rest of the day with Sweep Unit 14
    off Okinawa.

    Thursday, 5 April 1945 - After an all night patrol in a sector off Okinawa we returned to Kerama Retta going alongside the fuel tanker USS PONAGANSET (AO-86) for 100 gallons of fresh water and 250 gallons of lube oil. Then to the station tanker [Camel[ (IX-113) for 4500 gallons of fuel oil before anchoring for the night.

    Friday, 6 April 1945 - Underway at 0330 hours with Sweep Unit 13 off Okinawa. Destroyed another mine with rifle fire.

    1600 hours - Flash Red, General Quarters sounded. Major "Kamikaze" attack underway. Commenced firing and maneuvering on various courses and speed.

    1700 hours - Sighted two men in water and rescued same. Both men had been blow overboard from the destroyer USS BARTON (DD-722). Later in the day after our pharmacist's mate had treated their bumps and bruises, they were transferred to the USS WINGED ARROW (AP-170).

    1830 hours - Ceased firing after expending 66 rounds of 3in .50, 500 rounds of 40 mm, 3360 rounds of 20 mm and 600 rounds of .50 cal. ammunition.

    Saturday, 7 April 1945 - After spending the hours of darkness on patrol between Okinawa and Kerama Retto, we returned to our anchorage to take on fuel, water and supplies. We then went alongside the mine layer USS TERROR (CM-5) to replenish our ammunition supply. We took on 150 rounds of 3in .50 AA, 10,00 rounds of 20 mm, 650 rounds of 40 mm, 7500 rounds of .50 ca!. and 4500 rounds of .30 cal. ammunition.

    Monday, 9 April 1945 - 1720 hours - Underway with CTU 52.4.4., Sweep Unit 8 off Okinawa as a mine destruction vessel in company with the USS LINSEY (DM-32) as OTC, USS GLADIATOR (AM- 319), USS IMPECCABLE (AM-320), USS SPEAR (AM- 322) and the USS TRIUMPH (AM-323). Task Unit at General Quarters. This unit was later joined by the destroyers USS CALLAHAN (DD-792) and the USS PORTERFIELD (DD-682) at screening stations. Our station was 500 yards astern of the USS IMPECCABLE (AM-320).

    Thursday, 12 April 1945 - At 1400 hours Sweep Unit 8 came under an intense "Kamikaze" attack. The USS LINDSEY (DM-32) took two Val dive bomber hits on her bow. The explosions blew off 60 feet of her bow and they sustained many casualties... 57 dead and another 57 wounded. The PGM-17 raced back to Kerama Retto to pick up a doctor, Lt. (jg) Regan with two corpsmen and medical supplies. The gunboat was back alongside the DM by 1700 hours. After standing by to render any assistance possible, we returned to Kerama Retto and anchored at 2100 hours while still at General Quarters.

    Sunday, 15 April 1945 - At 1230 hours we were underway and hove to in the vicinity of the USS TERROR (CM-5), flagship of RADM Alexander Sharp, commander of Minecraft Pacific Fleet. At 1245 hours a small boat from the flagship came alongside with CDR. F. F. Sima, CO of the USS REVENGE (AM-110) and his party for transportation to Hagushi Harbor on Okinawa. We entered the harbor at 1500 hours where the party left the ship by small boat, returning aboard at 1745 hours. By 1925 hours we were anchored in the roadstead at Kerama Retta under condition "Red Flash". During these past weeks it seemed that we were always at General Quarters.

    Tuesday, 17 April 1945 - Underway at 0800 hours to go alongside the tanker USS PONAGANSET (AO- 86) to take on fuel and fresh water. Then to the USS WEEHAWKEEN (CM-12) for provisions and stores. We were underway again at 1600 hours for Hugushi Harbor on the island of Okinawa.

    Wednesday, 18 April 1945 - Anchored in Hagushi Harbor, Okinawa. Because of the serious and relentless attacks by the "Kamikaze" units, sixteen naval radar picket stations were put into operation
    around Okinawa.

    At 0730 hours, in accordance with CTG 51.5, secret dispatch 170905, we departed the anchorage and proceeded north to rendezvous with the other ships assigned to Radar Picket Station 3. Steaming at standard speed we arrived on station at 1400 hours. Station 3 was approximately 35 nautical miles north-east of Okinawa and manned by the USS MALCOMB (DMS-23) as OTC, PGM-17, PGM-10 and three LCS (Landing Craft Support). The LCS-81, 111, and the 118. We took up our position 1000 yards astern of the OTC and steamed in a circle 5,000 yards from the center of the station. We were at Condition 1 (General Quarters) or Condition 2 (Guns at the ready) all during this tour of duty.

    When enemy aircraft was sighted, General Quarters was sounded and to confuse the "Kamikaze" we would break formation and steam at various courses and speeds.

    On Thursday, 19 April 1945, the USS HENRY A. WILEY (DM-29) joined us and took over as OTC and on Sunday, 22 April 1945, the USS DALY (DD-519) relieved the USS MALCOMB (DMS-23).

    Wednesday, 25 April, 1945 - At dawn, under visual orders from the USS DALY (DD-519) we left the Radar Picket Unit 3 and proceeded south for Hagushi Harbor, Okinawa. By 1600 hours we were moored starboard side of the USS Mona Island (ARG-9) for engine repairs. After two days, we were underway for Kerama Retta going along side the USS WEHAWKEN (CM-12) for fuel and fresh water just as General Quarters was sounded. We were ordered to get underway and make smoke around the anchorage.

    Sunday, 29 April 1945 - At 1150 hours, we went alongside the USS TERROR (CM-5), flagship of the Pacific Minecraft Fleet for fresh provisions and mail. At 1300 hours we were underway for Hagushi Harbor, Okinawa with mail and supplies for the mine sweepers USS HAZARD (AM-240), USS RECRUIT (AM-285) and the net layer USS WINTERBERRY (AN-56). Returning, we dropped anchor in the Kerama Retta at
    1900 hours.

    Monday, 30 April 1945 - We ended the month moving around the Kerama Retto delivering passengers, freight, spare parts, supplies and mail to various minesweepers in the anchorage and to the harbor at Hagushi, Okinawa. We had been at General Quarters or Condition 2 for most of this time.

    Thursday, 3 May 1845 - At 0830 hours, RADM Alexander Sharp, CO of the Mine Flotilla TG 52.2 and his chief of staff, CAPT R.P. Whitemarsh and their party came aboard for transportation to Hagushi Harbor, Okinawa. After RADM Sharp and his party departed, we went alongside the USS KISHWAUKEE (AOG-9) to top off our diesel fuel tanks. The admiral and his party returned aboard at 1530 hours and we steamed back to Kerama Retta.

    Friday, 4 May 1945 - At 0600 hours, RADM Alexander Sharp and his chief of staff, CAPT R.P. Whitmarsh and their party returned aboard for transportation to Unten Ko on the east coast of Motobu Peninsula Okinawa. (The Japanese had used the reef-fringed harbor as a midget submarine and MTB base until being wiped out by carrier aircraft on 30 March 1945).

    At 0615 hours we received a small boat with an outboard motor from the YMS-283 and proceeded to get underway for the Unten Ko harbor at full speed. Because of the possible intense "Kamikaze" attacks, we stayed at General Quarters during the trip.

    0945 hours - All engines ahead one third speed. Our position was between the Motobu Peninsula on the starboard side and Kouri Jima (island) on the port. As we made our turn into the Unten Ko channel we ran hard aground on an uncharted coral reef off Kouri Jima.

    0953 hours - All engines stopped. Checking the depth with a lead line we found that we had eight feet on the port side and ten feet on the starboard side. Using the borrowed small boat we laid out a stern anchor consisting of three Dan buoy anchors and two 185 lb. blocks of concrete to hold the stern from swinging broadside to the reef. All bilges were inspected and found to be dry.

    At 1230 hours, the fleet tug USS TAWAKONI (ATF-114), under the command of Clarence L. Foushee, LCDR, USN, arrived on the scene to render assistance. Lt. James J. Moran, USN, Exec. and Salvage Officer from the tug came aboard to direct the salvage operation. Admiral Sharp and his party left the gunboat to go aboard the TAWAKONI. As the tide ebbed we were resting motionless with the bow and rudders resting on
    the bottom.

    At 1500 hours we received a two inch towing wire from the tug.

    At 2100 hours - With the incoming tide, the ship started to roll and be pounded on the reef. The Salvage Officer, Lt. Moran requested the tug to take a strain on the towing wire to help stabilize the motion of the hull. At midnight, the fleet tug commenced to take a heavy strain on the towing cable in an attempt to pull the gunboat off the reef. After a short while the stern started to swing slowly to port and moved astern a few feet.

    Friday. 4 May 1945 - At 0120 hours, the tug veered out the towing cable to 300 fathoms and took another strain. At 0200 hours, the ATF-114, turning up 100 rpm's, put a very heavy strain on the towing cable with no apparent movement on the hull. General Quarters was sounded. At 0300 hours, because of the ebbing tide, the tug ceased pulling. At 0400 hours, with enemy aircraft overhead we began pumping 6900 gallons of fuel oil overboard from the after tanks to lighten ship. An LCM from the tug came alongside and the crew started to unload 3000 rounds of 40 mm ammunition for transfer to the tug.

    0600 hours - We started to pump 5000 gallons of fuel oil from the mid-ship tanks overboard for a total of 11,900 gallons pumped overboard to lighten the ship. A diver from the tug went over the side to inspect the condition of the hull. He reported that the ship rested on a coral reef at the bow and midships and that the rudders and props were in a coral crevice. No major hull damage or punctures were observed at this time.

    With the new day, the seas began to rise and by 0900 hours the ship commenced to pound heavily on the reef and starting to sustain damage to the hull. The TAWAKONI began to take a heavy strain until 0950 hours when the two-inch towing wire parted. With the towing cable gone, the ship began to pound and roll heavily to port. Because of the continuing pounding and possible capsizing, preparations were made to transfer most of the crew to the fleet tug as a safety precaution. Also, preparations were made to transfer all registered publications and secret and confidential equipment to the TAWAKONI for safety.

    At 1035 hours, with enemy aircraft overhead, an LCM from the tug came alongside to transfer all communications material, radio gear (ABK, BN, AN-ARC units). Also the radar unit along with the Communications Officer and the Yeoman with the important ships records. The ships Sperry Gyro compass was secured at 1040 hours. The last compass reading was 112 PGC (per gyro compass).

    1130 hours -The gunboat is rolling heavily with a snap roll to port and appears to be in danger of capsizing. We let go the port anchor to try to hold her bow in place. With the incoming tide conditions worsened with the gunboat taking water over the port side from bow to stem and it was believed that the hull had been punctured because of all the lube oil in the waters. It became very dangerous to climb around the deck. Our No.2 generator had an engine failure and shut down. The rolling to port had become extreme and the captain has requested the TAWAKONI to send some small boats to remove all of the remaining personnel. Our No.1 generator shut down and we lost all power.

    Saturday, 5 May 1945 - 1155 hours - Our captain, Edwin L. Williams Jr., Lt., USNR ordered all hands to abandon ship. He was the last to leave at 1216 hours. Our ship was now broadside to the reef rolling heavily and being pushed further onto the reef The starboard side is apparently on higher ground than the port side. Waves are now breaking over the entire ship. All hands (59 enlisted and 5 officers) are now safely aboard the fleet tug USS TAWAKONI (ATF-114).

    1300 hours - All attempts to salvage the ship had been temporarily abandoned because of the high seas and the inability to work aboard the PGM-17.

    Sunday, 6 May 1945 - Ship abandoned aground on a reef off Kouri Jima, Okinawa. At 0555, the fleet tug was ordered to return to its base at Le Shima Jima. At 0826, the crew of the PGM-17 watched the crew of the tug shoot down a Japanese Nakajima "Oscar" fighter plane 300 yards off their port bow after an attempted suicide dive.

    Arriving at Le Shima Jima at 1800 hours, the crew of the gunboat were transferred to the LST-808 for messing and berthing until further disposition.

    Monday, 7 May 1945 - Hagushi Harbor, Okinawa. The salvage vessel, USS DELIVER (ASR-23) was given the responsibility of salvaging the PGM-17. Heading north at 0915 hours, it arrived off Kouri Jima at 1230 hours and promptly put a salvage party aboard to survey the stranded vessel. A salvage plan was decided upon and by 1500 hours an LCM had transported three 3" pumps with hoses and accessories to be rigged for pumping. The salvage operation continued for five days, pumping and patching holes in the hull. Another salvage party was setting out Eells salvage anchors making preparations for the beach gear heaving operations. A working party from the gunboat crew came aboard every day to assist in the salvage operation.

    Thursday, 10 May 1945 - Edwin L. Williams Jr., Lt., USNR, CO of the PGM-17, slipped and fell on the oil coated deck, severely injured both his heels. He was transferred to the USS PANAMINT (AGC-13) for treatment.

    Friday, 11 May 1945 - All salvage operations were called off because of a priority mission given to the DELIVER to assist the USS HUGH W. HADLEY (DD-774) which had been struck by three kamikaze aircraft on Radar Picket Station 15 and was now dead in the water. During the one and a half hour battle the destroyer had shot down 23 enemy aircraft and assisted in "splashing" many more. All during the salvage operations, Okinawa had been under intense Kamikaze attacks.

    Monday, 21 May 1945 - A week long Board of Investigation into the cause or causes of the grounding of the PGM-17 was convened aboard the USS WEEHAWKEN (CM-12) with CDR W.P. WRENN, CO of the WEEHAWKEN, as senior member of the Board.

    Sunday, 27 May 1945 - Hagushi Harbor - The LCI- 738 with a six man salvage crew aboard under the command of Salvage Officer Percy E. Collins, Lt. USNR was underway from alongside the USS DELIVER (ARS- 23) en-route to Unten Ko to continue the salvage of the PGM-17. The crew of the gunboat were now berthing aboard the attack transport USS NATRONA (APA-214) anchored in the Kerama Retta awaiting the final disposition of their ship.

    As there were no salvage reports forthcoming, their ship was presumed to be still aground on the reef off Kouri Jima.

    After almost two weeks of patching, pumping, sealing off the lower compartments and using beach gear rigging, the PGM was pulled off the reef.

    Saturday, 9 June 1945 - With pumps running, and air pressure being pumped into the lower sealed compartments, the PGM was towed to Kerama Retta where her bow was grounded on the beach in Agono Urn Cove on Zamami Shima where she was allowed to sink. Around the clock security watch from the gunboat crew consisting of one officer and three enlisted men was set and maintained. At high tide, with her bow on the beach, her after deck was awash from the stern to frame 63 (about midships).

    Saturday, 23 June 1945 - 1000 hours - A salvage board consisting of CAPT W.P. Buford, COMDESPAC, CMDRs Ferrin and Scholtz, COMSERON 10, inspected the gunboat and stated that they would recommend that the vessel be decommissioned. A blanket release of all ordnance and fire control equipment and spares was issued by Lt. Drucker, from COMSERON 10.

    Monday, 25 May 1945 - Aground in Agono Ura Cove, Zamami Shima, Keratta Retta. A diving and salvage barge No. 14 from COMSERON 10 was moored alongside. A salvage team, under the supervision of a COMSERON 10 salvage officer, Lt. (jg) Cosden, were setting up pumps and air compressors in an attempt to refloat the PGM-17.

    1400 hours - Andrew Edington, Lt., USNR reported aboard the USS NATRONA (APA-214) to assume command of the USS PGM-17.

    Thursday, 28 June 1945 - 0730 hours - Lt. Eddington came aboard to inspect his new command. By 1930 hours, the main and auxiliary engine rooms had been pumped out, the galley area was dry, the after magazine and lazarette had been filled with compressed air and blown clear of water. The 20 mm magazine was in the process of being pumped out. The stern was afloat with a slight list to port and sea water was being pumped into the starboard fuel tanks in an attempt to stabilize the list.

    Sunday, 1 July 1945 - The pumps and air compressors had been kept running around the clock since Friday. At sunrise, the LCT-1153 came alongside with a load of empty oil drums. After all the empty oil drums were stowed in the compartments below the main deck for buoyancy, the hatches were sealed. The pumps and air compressors were shut down - the gunboat slowly settled in the water but did not sink to the bottom.

    Monday, 2 July 1945 - 0800 hours - Agono Ura Cove, Zamami Shima, Kerama Retta. The USS PGM-17 was decommissioned as of this time and this date by the authority of CTF 31 secret dispatch 279425 of June 1945.

    Signed: Edward Edington, Lt., USNR, C.O. USS PGM-17.

    AFTER NOTES: The PGM-17 received one battle star for the Assault and Occupation of Okinawa. In October 1945, the ex-gunboat USS PGM-17 was towed to a deep water location south of kerama Retta and sunk. A program was initiated at the unofficial naval scrap yard at Kerama Retta where disabled, decommissioned ships were anchored with smoke generators which could be activated during Kamikaze attacks to lure Japanese suicide planes. It is believed that the PGM-17 was one of these vessels.

    R. W. Daly
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index Back to the Motor Gunboat (PGM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History