Site Best Viewed
At 800 X 600 Resolution

NavSource
Naval History

Photographic History Of The U.S. Navy

 MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND (MSC)
SEALIFT SHIPS INDEX

NavSource Online: Auxiliary Ships Photo Archive

Please Report Any Broken Links Or Trouble You Might Come Across To The Webmaster.. Please Take A Moment To Let Us Know So That We Can Correct Any Problems And Make Your Visit As Enjoyable And As Informative As Possible.


MSC's Sealift Program provides ocean transportation for the Department of Defense and other U.S. government agencies. The program is divided into three project offices: Tankers, Dry Cargo, and Surge.

MSC works closely with the Defense Fuel Supply Center to transport petroleum products to DOD storage and distribution facilities around the world, as well as to deliver fuel to MSC oilers and other U.S. Navy fleet oilers at sea. MSC operates zero long-term-chartered tankers to provide 90 percent of all fuel needed by DOD

DOD's dry cargo is shipped via U.S.-flagged commercial ships. Approximately 80 percent of this cargo is transported aboard regularly scheduled U.S. commercial ocean liners; the other 20 percent is carried cargo ships under charter to MSC.

Surge shipping is critical to the nation's combat readiness. Surge sealift includes three key resources which are kept in reduced operating status until they are needed in a crisis. These include: Fast Sealift Ships (FSS) , Surge LMSRs and Ready Reserve Force (RRF) Ships.

The FSS are the fastest cargo ships in the world--traveling at speeds up to 30 knots. Together, these huge roll-on/roll-off ships can carry nearly all the equipment needed to outfit a full Army mechanized division.

MSC's Surge LMSRs, while not quite as fast, can carry up to 380,000 square feet of cargo, the equivalent of eight football fields, at speeds up to 24 knots. The Surge LMSRs can be ready to sail in 96 hours, like the Fast Sealift Ships.
Fast Sealift Ships
SS Algol (AKR-287) ex T-AKR-287 ex T-AK-287
SS Bellatrix (AKR-288) ex T-AKR-288 ex T-AK-288
SS Denebola (AKR-289) ex T-AKR-289ex T-AK-289
SS Pollux (AKR-290) ex T-AKR-290 ex T-AK-290
SS Altair (AKR-291) ex T-AKR-291 ex T-AK-291
SS Regulus (AKR-292) ex T-AKR-292 ex T-AK-292
SS Capella (AKR-293) ex T-AKR-293 ex T-AK-293
SS Antares (AKR-294) ex T-AKR-294 ex T-AK-294
Large, Medium-Speed, Roll-on/Roll-off Ships
USNS Bob Hope (T-AKR-300)
USNS Fisher (T-AKR-301)
USNS Seay (T-AKR-302)
USNS Mendonca (T-AKR-303)
USNS Pililaau (T-AKR-304)
USNS Brittin (T-AKR-305)
USNS Benavidez (T-AKR-306)
USNS Shugart (T-AKR-295)
USNS Gordon (T-AKR-296)
USNS Yano (T-AKR-297)
USNS Gilliland (T-AKR-298)
Down Range Support Program Ship
TB Megan Beyel / Mobro 1210
Long-tern Chartered Tankers
MT Empire State
MT Evergreen State
MT Maersk Peary (AOT-5246)

Back To The Military Sealift Command (MSC) Ships and Vessels Index
Back To The Service Force Auxiliaries and Miscellaneous Ship Type Index
Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
All pages copyright NavSource Naval History