Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Patrol Craft Escort
Photo Archive

Magnet (ADG 9)
ex-YDG-9



YDG-9 call sign:
November - Juliet - Zulu - Delta

ex-PCE-879


PCE-842 Class Patrol Craft Escort / YDG-8 Class District Degaussing Vessel:

  • Laid down as PCE-879, 27 May 1943 at Albina Engine and Machine Works, Portland, OR
  • Launched 30 September 1943
  • Reclassified as a District Degaussing Vessel, YDG-9, 23 December 1943
  • Delivered and commissioned USS YDG-9, 10 July 1944Reclassified as a Degaussing Ship, ADG-9, 1 November 1947
  • Decommissioned in November and laid up in the Pacific Reserve Fleet San Diego Group
  • Named Magnet, 1 February 1955
  • Struck from the Naval Register 21 February 1975
  • Sunk as a target 4 March 1976 off the California coast at 031 16' N., 117 40' W. at a depth of 1,050 fathoms.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 640 t.
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 34'
  • Draft 9'
  • Speed 14 kts.
  • Complement 51
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, and four 20mm guns
  • Propulsion: Two 1,800 bhp General Motors 12-567A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Magnet (ADG-9) is available at this time

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The third Magnet (YDG-9) was laid down as PCE-879, 27 May 1943, by the Albina Engine and Machine Works, Portland, Oregon; launched 30 September 1943; reclassified YDG-9, 23 December 1943; and commissioned 10 July 1944.

    Following shakedown and training out of San Pedro, YDG-9 continued operations on the west coast, first for the 11th Naval District and then as a unit or ServRon 8. Later assigned to SevRon 6 to service, in close proximity, the striking forces as they moved closer to Japan, she established and operated degaussing ranges and provided facilities for inspection, calibration, and adjustment of shipboard degaussing equipment in forward areas, primarily for minesweepers. After the war ended, she operated with mine groups at Okinawa and, after 29 January 1946, at Sasebo, Japan, as those groups cleared the waters to allow safe passage to both military and merchant shipping. Returning to the United States later in the year, she decommissioned 11 December 1946 at San Diego, where she remains berthed, into 1969, as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. After entering the Reserve Fleet, YDG-9 was reclassified ADG-9, 1 November 1947, and named Magnet,1 February 1955.

    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back To The Patrol Craft Escort Photo Index Back to the Service Force Ship Photo Index Back To The Degaussing Ship (ADG) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History